Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 Save me from the breakers
sadoldcabbie

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:16 am

Hi there.

I'm a 1995 R19 1.8i with a knackered four speed automatic gearbox. I've been quietly resting on my owners driveway for a couple of years now, but apparently the time has come to shape up or ship out.

My owner might be persuaded to keep me if he can find either a cheap source for a replacement auto box, or a manual with all the bits for a conversion. He's quite happy to use a 'spares or repairs' car from ebay or similar, but needs to know which R19 variants would make suitable donor. He is aware that he will need to replace my driveshafts, as these are unique to my current gearbox.

Please help save me from the big cark park in the sky!
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:18 am

auto eh, big problem!

I ha ve everything bar the gearlever needed for the conversion if your interested.

Where are you?
sadoldcabbie

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:31 am

Thank for the offer. Trouble is I'm in London. I suspect Glasgow is a bit too far.

I guess you've done this before. Apart from the obvious 'box, linkage, stick, interior trim... I already know the drive shafts are specific to the auto, so the need to be changed. Want I don't know is where it ends. Is it just the shafts, or are the front axle/hub/bearings involved?

How much would you want for such a package, if thats OK?
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:35 am

you need

shafts,
gearbox,
if you want to use the existing engine a flywheel to fit it,
pedal box,
clutch cable,
clutch,
gear link rod,
gearlever,
gearlever surround trim,
coolant hoses or modify the exisitng ones to the auto cooler

Hubs etc are all the same

london is a bit of a trek.

is it a 16V or an 8v?
sadoldcabbie

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:44 am

Phew

That's quite a list. I has completely failed to consider the clutch! I supposed that would mean using another 8v 1.8 as a donor.

I had hoped to keep the engine, as it's pretty low milage (under 60K i think). I'm beginning to think it may be more trouble than it's worth.

Like I said, it's an 8 valve engine.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:51 am

thought it was an 8v, I have only ever seen 1 16V auto, super rare!

Well i have the full shebang up here.

I also have an 80 k RSi lump like yours as well with box etc that i need out the way.

if you can get the car shippe dup here you can come and collect it and drive it away when its done.

if your interested we can talk money, pm me.

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE