Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 DOC'S R 19 16V
Doc
Site Subscriber

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:44 am

I pulled my finger out and finally got the engine and box off the p1. I didn't have an engine crane so the box and block were separated, the box I lifted out and the block dropped out through the bottom of the sub frame.

Having dragged the block round to the shed I set to with dismantling it.

Soz for the lack f pics but, there we go.

the reason the block failed was due to the no.1 con rod bearing failing. that in turn has marked the crank quite badly which means I need a replacement one (found on e-bay for £0.99)lol

that’s as far as I've got so far the next step is to get the new crank and measure it for the new bearings ect.

Oh what fun! Evil or Very Mad
Dan
Site Subscriber

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:34 am

i was going to bid on that crank! but dont worry you can have it!
Doc
Site Subscriber

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:31 am

Did some more work on the block last night.

I took all of the bolt on bits off the block, cleaned up the pistons and knocked out most of the core plugs!

If your going to recon your block I’d suggest you take them out and clean the crap out of the waterways as there’s a load of rust waiting behind them to be removed.

I’m going to throw the block through the jet wash tonight to try and clean out some more of the rusty crap, so I’ll let you know how it goes.
Chet T16
Retroholic

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:46 am

Hmm i think i might, chris had said to to me but i didn't think the meg black was as bad as it is

How many is there in total? Dialogys is a bit crap for them
Doc
Site Subscriber

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:49 am

77 03 075 216 PLUG CORE 38 1.64 ---3 x 1 need 3 of those for the back of the block

77 03 075 214 PLUG CORE 2.99 ---3 x 1 2 of those these go each end of the block, where the box mounts and where the cam belt is.

77 03 075 219 PLUG .89 ---3 x 1 the small one by the bottom hose pipe.

(Thanks to chris for the numbers)
Chet T16
Retroholic

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:54 am

Brillaint!
Chet T16
Retroholic

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:12 am

Got two of the back ones yey
Doc
Site Subscriber

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:15 am

I can see a trip to renault coming up.
Doc
Site Subscriber

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:10 am

Ok didn't do muck last night, but I did take the block down to the jet wash.

TBH I'm not impressed with how clean it got the outside of the block as there was still grease and crap left on it after I had washed it twice!

It works wonders on the water ways though! With the core plugs remover the rust and crap just falls out! so although the block still needs the outside cleaning up a bit, the inside is spotless.

Well worth the effort.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:34 am

you need a good detergent to get all the grease off. The pressure alone won;t do it. its a bloody awful messy job. You need to scrap the worst of it off first as well.
Doc
Site Subscriber

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:50 am

I used some de-greaser when I got it home and wiped most of the crap off. I'll give it another going over with a brush and some detergent like you said though.

Will I get away with using hammerite paint on the block?
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:55 am

yeah shoudl be fine as long as its clean and you give it a few coats.
Doc
Site Subscriber

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:04 am

whilst Chris was down last week we fitted the "demon Engine" of his into the valver.

here it is in all it's glory! Muwhaha.

as you can see, the car has been sat there for a while.

here is me just before we set off to get my new cabby. (it was the only day it didn't rain!)

anyway through the rain and the snow we managed to finaly fit the demon engine into the "white beast. Muwhaha!!

all shafts are back in and almost everything else is done, so with a little more work the valver will be back on the road.

Big thanks to Chris, he may not know how to drive with a trailer but he does wonders with cars. lol
A14LN C
Site Subscriber

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:20 pm

good pics Wink
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:55 pm

I can drive with a trailer fanny face, I managed to avoid hitting cars etc in the tight carpark, its just that kerb came right at me! lol

my first trailer incident!
Doc
Site Subscriber

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:24 pm

LOL ok mate
Doc
Site Subscriber

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:39 am

quick up date on this bad boy:

MOT'd it a couple of months ago whils up seeing chris. he was also a gem and sorted out some of the running problems and over tight cambelt.

lately the cars been feeling loose so i think the rack is on the way out but I have a new renault rack to put on there so thats not an issue realy.

I also had fun at the weekend when the brakes stopped working completely!!!! once I had pulled onto the hard shoulder It became obvious what the problem was. the retaining bolt had come out of the calliper and the pads had slipped out! not sure how that happened but I had been away for 2 weeks so some funny fucker could be messing with the car. anyway the RAC fixed that problem at the side of the road and checked the others for free too.

also had a wicked misfire the other day which was due to the Iggy module. swapped that over and she was running normal once again.

Future jobs for this car are the tyres, sills and some slight welding on the inner wing, but thats not a biggy. (might stick a 2L in her but that depends if i get a supra in 6-8 months or not)

fuck knows, but it's gona be fun I'm sure.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:38 pm

Update on this.

Andrew came up over the weekend and I got cracking on it, he just stood around looking for a potential new mrs.

It has 2 new tyres on the 17's.

Offside front arch liner and brake duct fitted.
New nearside balljoint.
New brake pads after the retaining bolt incident.
New caliper retaining bolt.
New ignition module, it now drives as it should.
New front door cards.
New front door pockets and speakers
Plug cover water dispersal unit installed (drip tray lol)

No pics sadly but all the work was done.

Car is up for sale so pm doc if your interested in the car.

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE