Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 And now for something a bit different... <56k beware!>
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:28 am

Sharing broadband between several people can be done by buying a router for £50 or so. Job done. Or you can use a proper PC as server. I used an old PC i had laying about that used to be my main PC around 1997 when I was into overclocking etc. Spec was a Celeron 366 running @ 458 (5.5*83) running on an Abit BH6 (classic overclockers board). Initially running Smoothwall Linux, later Redhat 6.2 using IP tables to manage my housemates' bandwidth Smile and finally Windows 2000 Advanced Server. It runs PCAnywhere which I remote admin and have filesharing programs, FTP etc runnig 24/7

But I got the urge to mod something and since my housemates were away this weekend I wouldnt have anyone wingeing to use the net. So I went to Homebase and bought one of those metal cases for £18 and set about it.

First, I laid out my components in the case to decide how they were going to go:

Then I chopped the motherboard tray from the PC case to a suitable size

Perfect!

Laid it in the case to see where I needed to cut

And set about it with the trusty dremel

Then I just kept enlarging the aperture bit by bit until it was the right size

To mount the tray in the case, I used some little white plastic blocks that I got from Homebase (I think they're meant for holding furniture together)

Thoroughly epoxied in place

The edges of the aperture were a bit ragged, so I used some plastic binder strip things to line the edge. Didn't have enough to do the top bit, that will have to wait for another time Sad

Power Supply next... no room for the case, so that had to go. Got a jolt from it, never mind..should be used to that by now

Next I mounted the mains socket on the side of the case. Had to de solder it, pass the wires through then resolder it to the power supply.

And cut a hole for the fan

Hard disk next, and using 4 bits of L section aluminium epoxied together, I made a little cradle thing to mount it in the lid.

Routed the IDE cable nicely

Was In 2 minds about the next bit. In the end I decided fuck it and just did it. I decased my 10/100 switch (this was expensive when I bought it years ago!) and put that in the lid too

CDrom I pulled the fascia off and in its place I screwed the piece of case that I cut away. I'm most pleased with this bit. All sits perfectly flush, but you just press on the bottom corner of the panel to open the drive. Nice

Mounted the power button under the handle and drilled 2 holes for the power and HD LEDs (which I forgot to buy - want some nice blue ones Smile) Might also make a little doobrey out of stripboard and a load more LEDs to replicate all the network activity lights on the 2 net cards.

I decided to stop short of decasing the cable modem and wireless access point and putting them in too Smile

Some finished shots

Nice fan grille eh!
mals
Self Proclaimed Comic Genius

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:33 am

Very James Bond Clarky Very Happy
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:35 pm

you sad bastard!
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:52 pm

at least you could clean that fan a bit
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:53 pm

a dyson despite its false advertising would clean it up
Gentle Ben
Site Subscriber

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:23 pm

That's mint mate, I like it! Would look good with some 5" alloys on it.
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:27 pm

Now there's an idea! I'll look into it!
Gentle Ben
Site Subscriber

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:29 pm

Do it!
stan
Gay Rights Activist

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:11 pm

Firstly, im not computer jargon literate so it all means nothing! what is "overlocking"??
what is the end product?....i mean, does it replace the tower? or am i missing something?!!

sorry, i just dont get it!!
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:20 pm

overclocking is the process of running a processor higher than its rated speed. A bit like turboing an engine really. In both cases, if you push it too far, something melts/burns Smile

ie in this example a celeron 366MHz is running at 458MHz.

Yeah the suitcase has replaced the normal PC case and just sits in our storage cupboard as my network server.
stan
Gay Rights Activist

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:25 pm

ah i see! how do you go about making the proccesor run at ahigher speed?
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:50 pm

Well, I havent been involved with it recently, but in the old days, it was very simple.

Processor speed is determined by Front Side Bus speed x multiplier

change one or the other and you change the processor speed.

because the front side bus speed was the speed that the rest of the system runs at, you could actually loose performance by having a faster processor if in order to increase the processor speed, you decreased the FSB and upped the multiplier.

Not up to speed on it all these days, wouldn't have thought it was so much different though

There are lots of things you do to increase the max speed achievable such as increase the voltage to the processor to increase the difference between 'on' and 'off' states (1 or 0). Of course, more voltage means more heat, and thats where all the silly cooling comes in...
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:42 am

Shocked
Soneji
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:22 am

Overclocking is for clever computer people and not 2 bit mechanics! Razz Wink

/Dives for cover
stan
Gay Rights Activist

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:30 am

pmsl!!

well i dont confess to be either!
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:27 pm

I'll confess you to be a 2 bit mechanic for you then!

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE