Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 Project armadillo!
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:30 am

a wheel truing stand, black and decker work bench and a clamped pencil is what I used!

I did though have the luxury of a spoke key.
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:15 am

Right well its finished and ive been hammering it for the last week or so. As soon as i built it up I went round the block to set up the gears. I got carried away and it turned into a 4-5 hour epic involving an offroad tour of the hertfordshire countryside. Had no tools with me other than the allen key and screwdriver i was using for my gears, nor my mobile. Got a puncture on the way back but only about 200 metres from my house. Lucky.

As you can see, the fork is not the Marzocchi one I originally had. I needed a part for that, and having been sent the wrong one, i called the UK distributor, and ended up having a 'falling out' with them. So I fucked them off completely. Good forks, but I wont be buying them again unless they change to a half decent distributor. Instead I got a nice deal on Rock Shox Pike Teams. Very nice, plush as you like. coil sprung instead of air, but bollocks to it. Adjustable travel, compression damping, rebound damping etc., blah blah blah. Compression is even adjustable from the handlebar. Couldnt really give a toss about any of that but like I said, I got a sharp deal on them. Oh, and the 'pike' logos are reflective LOL

Anyways, Sram X9 gear setup (thought id try it instead of the Shimano XT stuff ive always had before...So far I'm extremely happy with it), Hone hollowtech cranks, Easton EA70 Monkeybars, single ring and chain device (might get a bashguard at some point too).

Good fun. Progress on my other obligations and projects has slowed considerably.

Still not sure I like the paint scheme. It will respray it matt black at some point over the winter i expect.

Last edited by Neal on Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:57 am; edited 3 times in total
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:47 am

at last eh! I was wondering if you would get all the bits or if we would see the frame in a skip! Laughing

Shear curiosity, whats that stand at now money wise?
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:13 am

not telling... but i could have bought several 19s...
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:16 am

I reckoned a grand as a rough guess, about right less more?

More to the point was it worth it?

How does it feel?
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:19 am

around that area yeah... worth it too IMO, but 'worth' is subjective. Its worth it to me.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:22 am

as long as your happy mofo!

would you ever get it back if you sold it? Been out the bike game for a while you see!
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:44 am

not quite as much no, but not far off. I bought loads of the parts off mates etc. so I wouldnt lose that much money. Same as with cars though, would get more breaking it and selling the parts off than selling it as a whole.

plans are already afoot for a holiday to the alps next year with some mates. A couple of them went this year but I couldnt go (and didnt have a bike anyway) Sad
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:45 am

sounds like a good holiday to me!
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:57 am

i'd do that....on a snowmobile. i would just fall off a bike and kill myself.

or rent one of them icelandic beasties and drive UP the mountain!

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE