Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 hello there I'm farnboy
Farnboy
Level 5 User

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:46 am

hello there every one I am now a new owner of r19 16v executive. I have been wanting one for years its on a m plate in renault williams blue with no tax and MOT with 85000 miles on the clock for £275 with leather seats in mint condition

the problems I have found with this car one of the rear arches has some rust been resprayed on the nearside rear no a very good job. the clutch is slipping when I take her over 4000 revs can smell burning and she is greedy for oil don't know if this the car is supposed to do this that's the whole point I joined this forum today also found a water leak coming from one of the pipes from the thermoststat.

she is booked in the garage tomorrow to have compression test then I will take it from there to start work on her please any of you let me know if I had a bargain or not and introduce yourself I like to know what you think.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:57 am

thats a bit steep for the car with the faults tbh.

arches will be really bad, the sills will be away as its a ph2 (the ph1's don't rust anywhere near as bad), so reckon on replacing both sills as well as worst case.

Oil usage should be under 500ml every 1000 (1k)miles.

pipes might be the steel ones which will need replaced. The coolants probably never been changed on it.
Farnboy
Level 5 User

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:20 am

does the block needs to come out to change the clutch I have heard a rumor over the net that it has to come out is this this true.
bbracer16valver
Retroholic

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:15 am

yea you need to unbolt the subframe and thats if you dont mind bending the subframe downwards Wink lol
Farnboy
Level 5 User

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:28 am

I had the compression test it is perfect and the clutch has plenty of life yet.

when I bought the car the guy told me it needs a new oxygen sensor does this effect the drivability of the car when she hits 4000 revs it does not take off very good.

any info about this
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:42 am

well 4krpm hit is a vastly overrated thing, mine pull all through the range fine, 4 - 4.5 krpm kick isn't that apparent.

the lambda sensor affects only idle, economy and constant speed settings.
Farnboy
Level 5 User

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:46 am

I have started some work to the car I have found the metal water pipes are badly corroded. So I got a good set from the local scrappy and some other things just being fussy. I took of the body kit of the sills the the o/s is rust free but the n/s some cowboy has just welded a patch going from the back arch to where the door opens. I would put link for a picture of this but I don,t know how to do this. also where is the page the tech articles page that you guys set up found them very helpful
dan_19_16v
Level 4 User

Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:52 am

mine has a bit of a kick when it comes up on cam about 4000rpm all 16 valves start to really work it pulls quite strong from there on. dont no if the timing was out but since i changed the head and fitted a new cambelt it pulls well after 4000rpm i didnt before

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE