Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 Project Z
Addie
Site Subscriber

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:08 am

Well then you can afford to offer some charity to a poor poverish student! hehe. Seriously tho mate, there will be one around sooner or later for me im sure - im in no rush as its really a summer project dont have a lot of time atm.
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:44 am

forgot... found this in the mess in the footwell... i guess these are the plugs the guy bought to try to fix it. Look quite good, probably better than the NGK twin electrode ones i have in mine. Might swap those over tomorrow as well just for the hell of it

Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:01 pm

the 19's use inserts the clio comes as a strut.
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:40 pm

how do you mean inserts?
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:41 pm

where you chop the top end off the strut and replace the workings with a koni bit.
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:43 pm

seems a bit drastic. this isnt how you buy it is it?
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:45 pm

yeah they come as just the insert and then its DIY time. I think most people can work a hacksaw.
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:57 pm

so what bit gets cut off and replaced?
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:00 pm

well iv have never done it myself but from what ive seen, it gets chopped round the top so that end holding the stanchion in comes off. Then the whole internals obviously just fall out and the oil too, leaving just a hollow tube. then the koni bit just slides in and takes over.
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:03 pm

ah right just making use of the mounting really...lazy buggers why dont they just add the necessary flanges?

is that a cheaper way of doin it? are konis costly?
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:26 am

well, the magnex exhaust is now on my car together with the decat. As expected, it definately pulls harder now, especially at higher revs.

heres some pics of the scorpion twin DTM exhaust that came off:

its far less convoluted than the magnex one. Maybe thats why it was always rattling against the torsion bar or the shell all the time.

can someone please tell me how the hell youre supposed to hang that exhaust properly? I suppose in the picture it might look like those hangers could work. Take it from me...they dont.

quick pic of the car, just because i can Smile
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:31 am

oh, as for the sound, cant say theres that much difference, but its a bit less raspy, and therefore less tiresome.
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:44 am

Jonnyboy wrote:
are konis costly?

among the car's history there is a receipt for £347 for 'suspension kit'
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:57 am

whistles...

lookin good neal...well tidy. is the magnex noisy? i know u say its less but is it still noisy?..does it make every one look when u hammer down the street , deafening them all?
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:11 am

i only went out for a quick spin, but i wouldnt say its noisy enough to draw excessive attention. Louder than your average car, but not by much.
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:32 am

cool...magnex it is then....one day...along within umpteen other things i want
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:08 am

lol you don't cut anything muppets. You use a c spanner on the existing nut holding the insert in already. Tropuble is the welded bit breaks off and some struts use a femal thread so you can't use stilsons.

Also no oil should pour out, back in the day on yer dads capris they stuck some oil in before fittign the insert now they tend to be fitted dry.

That exhaust will never hang right Neal, as you can see its missing a bracket. However the C type engines like my red one have an additional bracket as they are also missing the other box.

It bolts in just above the rear axle and the boxes have anothe rmoutn fitted to them so the exhaust is held up straight and doesn't touch the axle.

Anyway gimme it and I'll gie you a standard system in return...
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:25 am

well i dont fecking know do i, as i clearly stated, i have never done it, but by looking on the web at the koni instructions of how to fit the inserts to the struts on other cars, it shows the top being cut off the strut (using a chain cutter). Hardly makes me a muppet.

would be happy to swap but id need a standard rear bumper to suit as well...
Chet T16
Retroholic

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:34 pm

Hardly made me a muppet when my old shocks were crimped in and needed to be cut
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:46 am

yes it does Chet.

Anyway I have to say I think some 19's got clio struts or they changed them.

Some seem to be 1 piece units and some are the right insert ones.

The ones from my old hatch that are on the energy are inserts and the bit where you put the c spanner has seperated fromt he threaded collar so when you drive it rattles a lot.
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:10 am

well, ive installed all the stereo equipment from WOX into my car.

those are the ones from the doors

those ore from the rear bits either side of the parcel shelf

and thats what was in the boot

In the front on the dash, were these

accompanied by

Was a bit of a pain digging the signal wires out of loom on either side to go into the crossovers, but i got there in the end. Ran some proper speaker cable to the door speakers while i was at it instead of the standard wires. i didnt bother with the amp and sub yet, will do that another time (if i can be bothered). Also, i kept my Sony HU in because it has a 10 CD changer and i have it hooked up to the steering column remote, which i like. Sounds a LOT better now, can have some proper volume without it sounding totally crap.

Still not got round to looking at getting WOX running. Will be more hassle now too because i had to nick the battery for mine. It is a nice pretty new 60Ah Fulmen jobbie, spins the engine over at least 3 times as fast as the crappy death bed 40Ah one i had.

This car was so worth £250 Smile

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE