Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 DOC'S R 19 16V
Doc
Site Subscriber

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:18 pm

up untill the middle of january I was the owner of an M reg 19 1.4 energy. It was a nice little car and got me from a to b. However 1 horible night I was attacked by a pentioner in a VW Polo. Having ploughed into my passenger side his excuse was " I'm sorry, I was wearing the wrong shoes". Feckin wrong shoes! Laughing

Anyway the 1.4 was soon pronounced dead at the sceene and about two weeks later a cheque for £550 turned up in the post. (not bad as I only paid £150 for the car) a quick look in the paper showed a white 19 16v for £900 just down the road, so I eagerly went along to see it.

It wasn't the best example I've ever seen but it was nice. so after the quick once over and test drive I offered him £300, (there were some problems on the test drive obviously).

Yes Chris you'd have got it for a tenner. But I didn't do too bad.

anyway he said ok after a lot of umming and arring.

and this is what I got:

17 inch alloys, and a magnex exhaust. Not much. but the goodies were still at home and about to go in.

Obviously my camera is shit, but it was free.

I got the thing home and was very happy, I'd managed to exchange a 1.4 energy for a 19 16v and be £250 in proffit.

and then it broke!! FECK Evil or Very Mad
Doc
Site Subscriber

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:38 pm

I had broken the CV joint on the passengers side. Not too bad a job realy but 1 I didn't want to have to do TBH.

Anyway, no pic's of the job but I got another shaft that I had laying arround and whacked that on. I also changed the wheel bearing on that side too as it was grumbling. Job done, time for a test drive but no more than 50 meters down the road and BANG! the CV joint on the passenger side exploded. (must have been damaged)?

In the end I took a trip to renault and got a new shaft, wich sorted the problem for a week or so untill the other one went. FECK Exclamation Evil or Very Mad Another trip to renault and a large dent in my proffit later I was back on the road. (YEAH)

Having had enuff of fixing the thing I decided to put my leather seats in.
heres a little pic of them in.

I then put the Diamond audio door speakers in along with the PG Xenon amps, PG 15 band EQ and Alpine headunit.

I'll post some pic's of the other items later once I've put them in properly.

Having done all of that I went out for another drive. (obviously this car wasn't made to be driven)
I came back 10 mins later with a broken bottom ball joint.

Seeing as this car breaks both sides at the same time I changed both sides just to be safe. I also changed the callipers and front discs as they were a bit worn, all the suspention for a Blistine set I got off of E-Bay at christmass. which was a good thing as the rear ones had broken their metal mouldings at the top.

By this time I'd had the car for about a month and a half and only driven it a couple of times. (maybe It wasn't such a good Idea after all) so it was good to be on the road once again.

having been on the road for about a week without any problems it was obviously time for it to break again. This time it was the rear engine mount and a weird oily fluid in the drivers footwell.

here is the manafold pressing against the back of the engine bay:

with the engine dropped on the rear mount I found it awkward to select gears, so a bit of improvisation was in order. Laughing

Custom rear mount, remember I bodged it here first. Laughing

This however did sort the problem out untill I got under the car to have a look. On closer inspection I found the rear mount not to be broken but to have snapped the bottom bolt! So that was a bonus, I jacked the engine up and wedged the downpipe/ manifold over just enuff to allow acess to remove the bolt, I put a new bolt from my donor 19 in there and the job was done. All I had to do now was change some bulbs and find the leak.
Bladey
Site Subscriber

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:29 pm

looks real nice in white. wheels look good too, really suit the car
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:34 pm

yep thats a pretty nice looking motor
Doc
Site Subscriber

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:43 am

Thanks guys!
Doc
Site Subscriber

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:21 am

The hunt for the leak began.

as you can just about make out in the picture there is some dark staining arround the foot rest, thats the oil.
I checked the top of the rubber boot fo r leaks
But as you can see, it was dry.

There was even oil on the air pipes from the heater
So the only thing left to do was check under the carpet for leaks.
Once again nothing found.

I had filled up the P/s fluid about a week before so as there was a lot of oil on the floor of the car I decided to check the levels, wich turned out to be fine.

I've no idea where to oil came from but having cleaned it up 3 or 4 times it has now started to subside. You never know, it could have been a big spillage inside the car??
Doc
Site Subscriber

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:39 am

I had already put my Max Power Universal induction kit on so here is a pic
Not bad for £20 even if it is pink!

As you can see my header tank is brown and a tad unloved, so I flushed the coolant system to get rid of the rusty brown shit.
My H/tank is still brown, but the coolant isn't anymore.

Anyone got a handy hint for cleaning the inside of it up?
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:03 pm

cleaning the coolant bottle properly is some sort of fiddley art matey ,i am just in the middle of an invention to get the shit out of it .watch my space Wink
Doc
Site Subscriber

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:24 pm

Is that going to go on ebay as well schackal? Laughing
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:26 pm

An invention eh? its not a scourer on a stick is it?

Nothing will clean the bottle properly other than some kind of chemical that i havent found... yet.
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:16 pm

Neal 19 16v wrote:
An invention eh? its not a scourer on a stick is it?

Nothing will clean the bottle properly other than some kind of chemical that i havent found... yet.

you are quite close my son Laughing
just using a bunch of simple equipment ,you can clean a lot of shit of the bottle,not all though
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:03 am

you can get it cleaner but you can never get it back to clear. The inside is all scratched and the rust coour sets itself deep in the plastic.
Doc
Site Subscriber

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:12 pm

how much for a new one?

I was looking at a chrome one earlier but there all about £50 - £80 depending where you look.

Plus I can't justify to the wife exactly why I need one.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:21 am

30quid new
red19rt
Site Subscriber

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:20 am

hmm - maybe I can make a few quid here Laughing - the scrappy near me has a few 19s with pretty clean header tanks in them, been meaning to get one for myself, maybe I should nab the lot and sell em on - can probably lay my hands of 4 or 5 decent ones.

Going there tomorrow probably anyway so will see what I can get!

....pssst anybody want a header tank Wink
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:23 am

if you can get one that is proper clear, yeah ill have one. Dont think you will though.
Doc
Site Subscriber

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:49 am

Quote:
if you can get one that is proper clear, yeah ill have one. Dont think you will though.

same thing goes for me, mate.
red19rt
Site Subscriber

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:53 am

well they're not 'clear' they are a white opaque (sp?) but not orange Very Happy (they're the same as like the screen wash bottle is)

anyway dodn't get a chance to visit the scrappy this weekend - going to get one for myself anyway as mine looks like it's been tango'd Laughing - so I'll take a piccy and you can see what you think
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:33 am

so did anyone try cillit bang in these tanks ???
the top side of the tank is easy to clean but the bottom is hard to get anything in ,even though i did manage Laughing and it came out quite clean
Doc
Site Subscriber

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:09 am

Looks like my little project will have to go on hold for a while as I'm off to Belize for 8 weeks on exercise with the Army.

I'm arround till Friday so I'l chat with you all till then but just in case I don't get a chance to say it later.

BYE BYE SEE YOU IN JUNE

Last edited by Doc on Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Xvisor
Level 7 User

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:15 am

Nice one, well good luck in belize and see ya afterwards

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE