Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 Newbie intro
sbcurran

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:07 am

Hello all

I was referred to the site by someone on the euro car parts forum (Renault section).

So thought I'd pop in and say hello.

Not retro but (I suppose it depends on your definition of retro though!) I have a Clio 1.9D RT P reg.

In not too bad nick apart from the recently twanged timing belt :(

aye...if it's not one thing it's another!
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:16 am

i was pre warned about your arrival mate by Schakal.
sbcurran

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:22 am

Hello Chris H,

I didn't want to pounce on you after just joining the site!

I'm in a bit of a pickle with the Clio. A lot of places don't want to touch it! The garage it's sitting in at the mo only took it in by accident, they thought I wanted only a timing belt change!

They're not keen on doing it but quoted £570...before taking the cover off but warned me it could be more. I understand where they're coming from and I think they're taking advantage a wee bit.

I believe you're in Glasgow (from that side of the country myself) but I'm in Penicuik now (south of Edinburger).

You wouldn't happen to know who would take the job on this side of the country who wouldn't want me to cut an arm and leg off?

Cheers
Sean
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:26 am

no one wants to touch it cos its a bastard of a job.

I don't know anywhere thats not me to take a car so can't help you there.

Potentially you could have holed pistons as the valves are vertical instead of inclined, could have bent every balve, cam could be snapped etc etc.

i can do the work. if you want I can come get the head off for a fee and then assess what needs done, it may be easier an dcheaper to get another engine.
sbcurran

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:22 pm

Cheers Chris

Thanks for the offer, how much would you take for initial inspection?
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:34 pm

thinking about it I don't need to take the head off, so call it 25 quid and I can tell you how many valves are bent.
sbcurran

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:04 am

Excellent Chris...sorry for the sporadic replies. We have a newborn in the house so things are a tad hectic!

Let me know when would best suit you to pop through (earliest I can finish work is 3.30pm - this Tue & Fri are out though) and I'll get in touch with the garage to make sure they don't remove the head.

Any particular reason why they are wanting to take the head off to assess damage if it can be assessed without taking it off?

Cheers
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:30 am

you will find that 99% of so called mechanics dont; know very much.

With the head on I can assess if the valves are bent, if they are badly bent then the head will have to come off anyway to see if the pistons are dead, if they are bent and the valves are fully open probably best going for a new engine instead of wasting time pulling the head off.

I can come over tomorrow (monday) if that suits you.
sbcurran

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:59 am

Cheers Chris, I'll send you my tel no. and address by PM

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE