Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 The Changing Of The Valves
chamadyelook
Site Subscriber

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:27 am

Is this dejavu or a glitch in the fekin matrix! im lookin down the bores of another 19. It seems only yesterday i was doing the same with my last one ( the one that left me for george ) but little did i know i would never actually drive the poor bugger again, i took the head off to change the gasket and noticed the valves were pretty coked up and it was generally in need of a wee service but i was workin seven days at the time and had no time to do it so i towed it roond the corner to a wee garage that a mate used to work in, id never been near it before but id heard he knew his onions and he was cheep, the very man i thought.......Wrong! he had it 2 weeks, made a right arse of it and charged me £200. It was at this point i made the balls up of the millenia, well firstly i should say before towing it round to the guy i took the battery out of the ren and put it in the FTO i had parked up in my mates lockup so i could use it while the ren was off the road and put a crappy wee battery i had lyin around in the ren just for brakelights and stuff, so back to the balls up, i meant to take the battery back out the FTO when i went to pick up the ren because when i was round for a progress check a few days previous he told me the crappy batt had died and he didnt have one with round posts handy but i forgot and turned up to pick the ren up five minutes before he was shuttin and me being the trustin kinda geezer took his word that the motor was hunkydory and towed it back home i can still hear his last words to me "any problems wee man, get it back round to me toot sweet" but i thought ach it'll be fine. By this time its dark o'clock so i didnt swap the battery back i had to drive the jap shed back up to the lockup anyway so next day battery back in started her up and mmmmm sounded fine untill i drove it, feck me it ran like a petrol lawnmower wi diesel in it i was fookin ragin and in a "toot sweet" fashion coughed, spluttered, banged and hissed my way round to the garage and the baisturd was shut not only that when i stopped the car the perc pump blew up and distributed brown water over every square inch of the engine bay. By this time i couldve crushed a grape and my mate said hes never seen anybody go that colour before so i locked the ren up put a note under the wiper tellin him the crack and that i would be back soon, i went back the next day and the note was still there and again the garage was shut i was in distress and managed to get the nailed shut letter hatch thingy open and didnt like what was to be seen or not as the case may be the baisturds tools and stuff had gone all that was left was the ramps benches and a k reg rover 214 the mofo had done a moonlight flit by the looks of it so i waited till later that night and returned with a big geezer i know whos not shy of bustin in doors if theres somethin at the other side he can eat or sell and bust the door he did and in we went and nooo wayyyy the rovers logbooks only sittin on top of the dash and foooook me the keys are in it aswell and the logbooks in his name so as soon as i learned it was his car i swiftly whipped the keys and logbook and made a sharp exit leavin the door destroyer to rifle away to his hearts content. I towed the ren home and phoned the fuzz and left an anonomous garage gettin broke into alert and went back round on foot to tell the big chap the feds were comin but he was already history so i hung back untill the cops arrived about 20 mins later then made my frantic rover owners entrance, i told them id bought the car from the garage owner a week previous and he was doing work on it then i told them i was just in the pub and someone told me hed done a bunk so ive rushed down to see if hed taken the car. the flattop then said to me can you prove this is your car sir, of course i said producing the v5 and keys he he they bought it next thing i know im drivin the fecker up the road and 36 hours later i managed to sell it for £450 yeeehaaa get it up ye ya bumpin baisturd. never heard a thing about it since but at the same time the ren hasnt really drove since either i tried allsorts in what time i could grab but to no avail i just could not get enough time in the one go to really try and find the prob and then the blue p2 came along and it didnt seem to matter so much anymore that whitey didnt run because bluey did mmmm sweeet. then some time later i sell it to george and bosh end of story. thank christ i hear you say that geezer could talk the hind legs of a donkey. So gettin back to the matter in hand as you may or may not knowfrom other posts my timing belt made an untimely departure and due to the fact im gettin hitched in october im financially imbarrased and cant afford to buy a ready to go head from big chris so its a set of replacement valves instead and a bit of work for me, ive took some pics but they are poor quality due to a shit camera.

Heads out, things are going to get a serious clean in here still switherin on whether to bring the block out and overhaul the lot.
Each piston has got a wee bit play in them i really think the block should come out mmmmmmmmmm.
Oh and this is a first for me, i never have all the nuts or bolts to refit something i take off because im in the habit of chucking them into toolboxes or in various areas of the engine bay and always lose some, not this time daddyo check the smartarse.
Well the heads minus most of its outer components just the cams to go and itll be valve time, that reminds me ill need to buy another new valve spring compressor doobry.
Mmmmmm shiny yeees it will be shiny and cleeean.
Can anyone tell if these are renault cams what i mean is the lying baisturd what sold me the car told me it had pipercams cams aswell as the vernier pulleys but they look awfly like original renault ones to me.
Oh and another thing he also told me it had a triple head gasket.................wheres ma bloody gun, does that look a triple head gasket to you?
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Well thats as far as ive got for now more to follow as it happens.
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:41 am

great story mate!!

the cams are difficult to see...when i got my cams reground, the pair of lobes to the righthand side almost become one as the meat between them is quite thick. so on the base dia. if they almost link across to become one then they could be regrinds...ill dig out a pic of mine if i got one to show u what i mean.

have those cams gone rusty just cos they have been out for a while? or were they like that to start?

whats the milage on that baby?

can see the usual wd40 all over the zorst manifold lol was it difficult gettin that off in the engine bay? it was tricky enough when its out ofhte car.

how many valves are buggered then? got any pics of the underside showin knackered valves?

Jonboy

added pic below....u can see the cam lobes to the bottom have more or less been joined at the btm due to grinding....if yours are like this or alomst like this then they be regrinds....ill dig out a pic of a std one too to compare with.

urs may not join tho if they havent been ground as much as mine. i got 2.0 spec ones so they are a bit more than 1.8s
hope this helps
chamadyelook
Site Subscriber

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:06 pm

Aright johnny cheers glad u liked it. the head was left out overnight undercoverand thats when it got rusty and the motors done 90 grand. and yes that exhaust manifold was a complete nightmare i had to do it alone which was not easy i had to somehow get the head up and out from the ex/man and as u will know there is zero play in the manifold whatsoever so things were tricky but i got there in the end. by the looks of it eight valves are dinked some more than others, ill try and get a descent pic of them tommorow to show you the state thier in, as for the cams mine dont appear to have been reground like yours have. cheers for the input.
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:29 pm

i am also extremely impressed at your ability to remove the exhaust manifold with it still in the car!

With my head on the bench, i had to douse/soak the gasket with WD40 and then smack the manifold about with a hammer for a couple of hours before it would even think about budgeing!

I guess either you got lucky, or I got unlucky...
jimbo
Level 7 User

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:37 pm

on the end sof the cams, its got the kent/piper stamp of regrind, tells u wat cams ur running. if its got piper verniers, then itl prolly have the cams as well. thats not a tripple layer gasket, thats a standard gasket u can buy from ur local motor factors.

get the head stripped, skimmed, dipped, regrind the valves, then get the cams timed up correctly on rolling road. shud see over 150bhp alright with that lot.

jimbo
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:30 am

oh yeah...doh.....main and most obvious clue is the fact that most cam ppl stamp the end HA AHA HA a std cam is blank....and its the transmission end...if ur dizzy is off should be able to see end of cam and see.

god i miss the most obvious sometimes...lol
jimbo
Level 7 User

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:42 am

your welsh, so wat can u expect....lol

jimbo
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:09 am

spitting when im talking...bad manners...lol
Soneji
Forum Moderator

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:01 am

They may be reground cams, but they don't look like off the shelf efforts.
chamadyelook
Site Subscriber

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:29 pm

Well i went and bought a valve spring compressor from halfords to get the valves out they had three sizes, the smallest was £16 the middle one was £18 but the next size up was £37 so i went for the £18 one and yes its no good, note bottom lip i pulled a similar face when the belt went Laughing

I took a couple of pics to show the bent valves but as usual my shitty wee cam couldnt handle a close up, anyway you can still see where the valves have dinked the pistons with the shiny areas on the bottoms not to mention the angle they are sitting at. after closer inspection it looks like only four benders 2 of each.

random heed pic.

more 2 follow

Last edited by chamadyelook on Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soneji
Forum Moderator

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:08 am

Haha quality photo mark! Very Happy You still have that Red shell?
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:18 am

was gonna say something, cannaer mind now.

Anyway stick the plugs back in turnthe head upsiode down and fill each chamber with water. the cams are out so they should all seal.

If they don't the valves be bent boyo.
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:28 pm

i got the wrong compression tool at first...got the right one...bent it...replaced it....lol...i found u need to buy the biggest one and then knock up a little steel tube with a notch to be able to reach into the bore to get the collets out with a magnetic tool jobby...very fiddly.

looks nasty....quite a few out of joint.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:21 pm

Oi short arse!

I txt you and you didnae get back to me. Now I have the drama that I no longer have a phone that works.

So pm me, e-mail me or post up here.

I have yer headset but you owe me £5.51 for the headset due to the VAT (I know I thought that was including an all!!), if ye bring the heed over I will clean it up or if ye sling me some cash I will come over and work me magic for you.

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE