Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 Project "White Elephant" - SOLD!
Gentle Ben
Site Subscriber

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:18 pm

Well while the Clio is off road I've decided to get her as clean as possible.

This endeavour began today with the discovery of a rather amazing rubbing compound by Farecla. My Dad's had some in a wee yellow tin for years and when I was washing the car he gave it a go on the bonnet and it looks like a brand new bonnet now! The wings look a completely different colour!

Anyway, bonnet's all that's been for now, rest of car will be getting the once over tomorrow, pics tomorrow!
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:20 pm

keep rubbin it in son
Gentle Ben
Site Subscriber

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:07 pm

Well not updated this for a while.

The V5 arrived yesterday in my name, this means I can now get the car taxed at the weekend and it can be back on the road as of the 1st having spent over a month on the drive!

Car is still looking mint (well mint as possible) after t'other weekends rubdown with Farecla.

I now have some batteries so pictures will be up tomorrow depending on weather!
Gentle Ben
Site Subscriber

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:11 pm

Bah!

Well last week my clutch cable decided to snap, currently limping round on an AA temp repair!

And today a couple of little electrical niggles cropped up; in addition to the dicky speedo bulb I already had, another one has now decided to join in the fun and driving at night has turned the car into a mobile disco....

Then towards the end of my journey the heater blower decided to pack up. Just what you want at the start of winter.... Evil or Very Mad

Anyway heater fails to work on all settings so I'm hoping it's just the fuse that's gone, but a gut feeling tells me it's not going to be that easy.

Also, as documented in other threads I have a noisy power steering system so that will need some attention, plus the car is due for a service. If it was the 19, I'd just keep driving it but this is a 16v we're talking about, I've a feeling that ignoring the fact it needs a service will come back to haunt me unless I get it done....
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:00 pm

the fan problem is a fuse or the heater control panel plug is fried which is more likely.
Gentle Ben
Site Subscriber

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:59 pm

Well the same thing happened with the 19, although the 19 didn't lose all speeds at the same time, it lost 1 and 3, then 2 went much later.

The fact that all three speeds just went at the same time rules out the rheostat at least.
Gentle Ben
Site Subscriber

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:48 am

Well all three speeds have kicked back into life, so it must be loose wiring somewhere. Also I've noticed that the speeds were lost gradually, not all at once as it first appeared, speeds 1 and 3 were first to go.
Gentle Ben
Site Subscriber

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:52 pm

Right the number of faults this car now has is growing at an alarming rate!

List is as follows:

Cold starting problem
Clutch cable needs replacing (still running round on the AA man's temporary repair!)
Parking brake very low effort (doesn't hold the car on even the slightest incline)
Whining PAS pump
Engine mount knackered
Heater blower knackered
Dash bulbs blown
Wheel bearing needs replacing

Admittedly nothing on the list is too major, but nevertheless it's enough to get under my skin and wind me up! I was planning to get Friday off this week to try and see to some of these problems, but I fear I lack the technical knowhow and/or the necessary parts to effect repairs! I also want to renew the distributor cap, rotor arm, and do an oil and filter change soon as well.

Aside from all of that, the car is generally running and performing beautifully! Hopefully not a lot more can go wrong with this car!
Dan
Site Subscriber

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:11 pm

just jynxed yourself now!
Gentle Ben
Site Subscriber

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:01 pm

Well as some of you know I had an unfortunate mishap fitting a replacement clutch cable meaning I now have to get my local garage to fit the new cable for me.

Before that however I managed to fit a new cap and rotor arm, with an early finish from work, and having no idea when they were last renewed I thought it prudent to renew these seeing how winter is well and truly upon us.

First of all the old cap came off followed by a quick look at the terminals inside....

Then off with the rotor arm; old one on left new one on right....

Then on with the new rotor arm and the new cap....

Gentle Ben
Site Subscriber

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:14 am

Well last night one of the front tyres decided to give up on me in rush hour traffic on the A1. After taking the front wheels off the tyres were in appalling condition, heavily worn on the inner shoulder caused by the car being so heavily lowered.

The tyres were in mint nick when I bought the Turbines back in September from Mark (red19rt) and to say that I've only covered 3/4K miles in the car to get them that bad is shocking!

Fortunately when the tyre went, nothing major occurred and I was able to pull the car into a layby and fit the spare at the road-side.

Unfortunately, this meant a trip into town this morning. Had both front tyres replaced, went for 2 x Tigar Prima's (made by Michelin) which, after fitting, balancing, mounting etc. came to a grand total of £104 inc. VAT.

When the tyre burst last night, it damaged the plastic arch liner and smashed a few bits from it, leaving a bit that caught on the wheel as it was turning. I pushed it back in to the arch, clipped it back in, but still had to file a bit off it to clear the wheel. Also some paint has been blasted of the leading edge of the sill, but that area is pretty scruffy anyway.

I seem to be throwing money after this car almost weekly. Only faults left to correct are a wheel bearing (90% sure it's the N/S/F) and the heater blower motor. Then all that's wrong with the car is purely cosmetic.
Dan
Site Subscriber

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:06 pm

welcome to F7 ownership
coopahstar_83
Level 1 User

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:06 pm

its the clio valvers ben mate, mines been a money sink since i got it!!!all good fun tho!

dont worry bout lack of mech knowledge n all matey, i had none, first big job was head gasket and altho it took me 2 months i went from this....

to this.....

to this.....

and all by myself n all!! Very Happy
bbracer16valver
Retroholic

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:40 pm

nice i am aiming for that finish on my engine bay to

very very nice
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:51 am

does it still look that clean today?
coopahstar_83
Level 1 User

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:10 pm

yep cuz i only finshed it n got it on the road last thursday!!! workin some more autosol into the metalwork at the weekend again tho, gets dirty again from salt etc well quick!! Razz
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:44 am

oh i must have confused it with another i saw ages ago on RSC.
Gentle Ben
Site Subscriber

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:40 am

Right, well to update you all in the last three weeks the Clio has been treated to a new genuine Renault clutch cable and new rear discs and calipers.

The rear brakes were not in the master plan as such; they had to be done after they fecked up in the middle of Melton, 35 miles from home so I had to let a local garage do the work.

Another £190 down the pisser.... sounds a lot but labour was £88 and parts were about £70 or so and then you've got VAT etc.

Also noted that handbrake cables starting to fray.

I'm also a bit concerned about the clutch. As a few of you who have seen the car know, the clutch cable sits a fair bit higher than brake and accelerator pedals. On the way into work I used my foot to position the clutch pedal in line with the others and the clutch was slipping quite badly.

I'm half wondering if the stop block on the clutch pedal was removed deliberately to extend the life of the clutch?
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:11 am

maybe its cos its a fucking 19 pedal and not a clio one like it has been for months eh einstein!
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:11 am

also its a gotr a new stop block on it, or did you totally forget the work I doen to the car with pics?

ffs
Gentle Ben
Site Subscriber

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:50 am

Whoa easy there fella!

I wasn't too sure what you changed about with the clutch pedal to be honest mate!

And it's not easy to check back on what you've done when the report's not there anymore!

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE