Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 Project Clio 16v
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:28 am

oil pressures fine, normally when cold they are around 6 bar
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:32 am

ok, thanks. Just wanted to check as it was higher than before and most people seem to say 3bar is the ususal on cold idle.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:33 am

3 bar on a cold idle is low I'd say.
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:36 am

well, things are looking up for a change. Sorted out the colling system and it no longer leaks, and the fan kicks in on the radiator. The fan itself doesn't kick in till the temp is approaching the end of the temp scale - about 3/4 of the way between the 2/3rd mark and the last mark on the gauge, is this too hot or should it be OK? The other question I have is about the aux water pump. Am I right in thinking this should come on when you turn the engine off or something if it's over a certain temperature? If so what temperature should that be at as it doesn't seem to come on at all.

When I took it out for a quick drive it actually felt OK. The main problems were that the clutch bites very low and it's very on/off. I think it was said in the past to try a new clutch cable for the biting point, I take it theres nothing that can be done about the on.off feeling clutch?

The other thing was that I noticed there is a sort of clicking noise in time with the wheels going round that you can hear from the engine bay area when driving. You can't hear the noise when you are braking or accelerating though, so I'll jack the car up try rotating the wheels and see if I can work out what it is.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:03 am

cooling fan sounds about right, all the gauges vary so best get a pic up.

108 degrees is when the fan and aux water pump will kick in at shut down.

To see if both work short out the plug for it, its the lowest sender on the stat housing.

did you fit a new clutch when you did the box? fit a new cable?

CV joint, is the drivers shide gaiter ok?
bidderman1969
Retroholic

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:03 am

my auxillary wtaer pump comes on immediately after i turn the engine off, regardless of the temperature..... but i have a superior 19 16v, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz Razz
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:44 am

lol @ bidderman - you haven't lived till you've had a clio Laughing

Chris - Yeah, I fitted a new clutch but did not fit a new clutch cable.

The gaiter is OK iirc, I think I checked the gaiter when I was fiddling with the driveshaft and brakes and I think it was fine.

The other thing is that sometimes there is a bit of vibration through the car as you edge forward slowly. It can only really be felt if you are edging forward and seems to be OK if you pull off as normal.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:22 am

clutch would cause a judder like that or a dirty flywheel. The slow pull away one.

get another cbale on there, or live with it, I'd chose the latter
bbracer16valver
Retroholic

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:35 am

bidderman1969";p="107649 wrote:
my auxillary wtaer pump comes on immediately after i turn the engine off, regardless of the temperature..... but i have a superior 19 16v, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz Razz

your car doesnt run does it??
bidderman1969
Retroholic

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:00 pm

Surprised

it most certainly does BB!! you cant keep a good 19 down you know, just cos its not on the road, doesnt mean it doesnt run! d'oh!

Shocked Rolling Eyes
bbracer16valver
Retroholic

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:18 pm

hummm well vid in that case last time i seen it was in bits

Razz
bidderman1969
Retroholic

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:45 pm

oh, nooooooo thats the other engine i have for it
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:26 pm

Chris H";p="107663 wrote:

clutch would cause a judder like that or a dirty flywheel. The slow pull away one.

get another cbale on there, or live with it, I'd chose the latter

Thats what I though about the judder, but tbh I don't know how it's like that as I know the flywheel was clean when I put the clutch on and can't see what I could have done wrong when fitting it. Is it something that will improve with time or just stay the same? (will the friction sort of burn anything off the flywheel is what I mean)

I'm tempted to try another cable tbh as it's rediculously low the biting point.

Thanks for all the help by the way, I know I can be a bit of a pain with all the questions, lol.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:26 am

drive it about a bit and it might clear up, a hard sport on the clutch plate or anything.

i would say go do some hard starts but that'll just end in tears
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:41 am

Ok, i'll give the hard starts a miss for now, don't want to cause more problems as it no doubt would, lol.

Last quick question for now, would it be OK to use a dog bone mount for a 1.4 on the 16v or is there a bit of difference between the two?
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:39 am

Got the car up on some stands today and turned the drivers side wheel to find out about this clicking noise. It seems to be coming from the gearbox end of the o/s driveshaft. If you rock the shaft back and forth you can hear and fell it at the end nearest the gearbox. Any idea on what that could be?
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:45 am

1.4 dogbone will be fine.

is it the shaft or the box making the noise? box was fine on the 19 when I last used it.
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:09 am

I'm hoping it isn't the box anyway - thats all I need tbh. My guess is the driveshaft though, if I hold the driveshaft by the part which joins to the gearbox you can rotate is a couple of mm either way without the rest of it beyond the rubber gaiter moving at all so I'm hoping thats whats causing the noise - would that make sense?
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:03 pm

yeah sounds a bit dodgy that CV!

Should be no real rotational play in it.
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:34 am

ok, I think I may have been slightly wrong about the cause of the noise. To check if there was more play than there should be I tried turning the driveshaft on the 1.4 with the wheels down and found there to be about the same amount of play in it as there is on the 16v. I then went undereath the 16v and discovered out that if you push the part of the driveshaft just before it joins the gearbox (just after the second rubber gaiter but before where the roll pin is) it seems to make the exact same noise you get when the wheel is left spinning. I can't really see how this noise is caused when the wheel spins, but I'm certain thats what it is.

What I want to know now if what my options are, can you repair the current driveshaft if you remove the gaiter (the one nearest the gearbox) and do something (though it isn't split or anything, or am I just as well getting a driveshaft off a 1.2/1.4 clio from the scrappies? Also, whats standard price for a drivshaft from a scrappies.

I am pretty much certain that this upwards/downwards play is in the driveshaft itself, but is it possible it could actually be in the gearbox?
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:37 am

Another thing I should say is that I tried what you suggested to check the aux water pump and it doesn't seem to be coming on. I shorted the connector off the thermostat after the engine had been runnign and whilst the fan came on I don't think the water pump did - I pressume I would see water coming through from the top header tank hose if the pump was running?

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE