Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 Introducing myself
tominbristol
Level 9 User

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:43 am

Hi, I've been on the board for nearly a week so this is a little belated, but I thought I'd stick up a picture of my new baby!

So...
[IMG:676:469:d5d1680dc0]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i233/tominbristol/Dsc00028.jpg[/img:d5d1680dc0]

I bought the car in London for £130. The guy had owned it for 8 years but not driven it an afwul lot. He originally wanted £650 but after it failed the MOT I haggled a knock-down price!

It drove back down the M4 with no trouble, getting up to 36.6mpg which pleased me a little. It needs some work doing - the n/s outer CV gaiter has a split in it and the joint needs replacing. Hopefully I'll do that myself. Also the suspension spring on the same side needs replacing due to the bottom half a coil breaking off - the exact same thing happened to my previous r19 1.4l, although in that case the spring shot down into the tyre... ooops. Also it failed on rear brake efficiency - I'm hoping a brake bleed might sort that out. Although the test didn't notice it, I'm worried about condition of the front subframe at the jacking points - my crappy 2nd renault jack went through here (lesson: use a trolley jack)

Apart from that the bodywork is in OK condition although no panel is perfect. There is some bad rust at the bottom of one of the back arches which will need dealing with and a couple of rust bubbles on the same panel. The leather's all good, could do with a polish but actually looks lovely! I'm stripping down my old 1.4l p2 so I've had many parts off that for the valver - various lights, the indicator stalk, tiny bits of interior trim, the wheels of course and maybe the boot carpet, we'll see. My aim is to get it looking as tidy as possible within my pauper's budget. It'll be my only transport but I don't drive daily.

I'll just take the time to thank everyone else on the board, the knowledge here is immense and I appreciate it! Cheers guys Very Happy

Last edited by tominbristol on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:50 am

back brakes will just need freed off. easy enough.
tominbristol
Level 9 User

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:03 am

Chris H";p="100626 wrote:
back brakes will just need freed off. easy enough.

Not quite sure how they need to be freed..? Was going to bleed the system cos the pedal had a fair bit of travel before doing anything.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:04 am

rear sliders seize up as do the pistons.

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE